September 9, 2011

Reflections on Sept. 11

I've been challenged for the past week with the numerous options of mediated remembrances of Sept. 11. I have avoided consuming most any of it because I was skeptical of the motivations behind some of the programming (ratings vs memorials). Until now.

The PRSA Tactics post by John Milton Wesley is a must read. And, if you don't develop a little catch in your throat, and maybe a teary eye, you're not human.

Growing up, I remember my parents and a few teachers talking about how they remembered what they were doing when they heard Pearl Harbor had been attacked and JFK was assassinated. After Sept. 11, 2001, I understood this completely. To this day, I can tell you absolutely everything about that day.

Sept. 11 was a turning point for this country, for business and certainly for the profession of public relations. Wesley's personal story is heart-wrenching. But, his five rules are good reminders when we, as professional communicators, are put in difficult positions sharing the stories of tragedy and loss.

10 years later: Reflecting on the tragedy of Sept. 11, 2001: PRSA

No comments: